... ...
Did you know that nearly 32.5% of college students admit to owning a fake ID during their school years? So when you send your under-21-year-old child to college, or they move out of the nest, possession of a fake ID can cost you and your kid more than just a fine.

How do college students obtain them?

Whether your child goes through an illegal seller or they stumble across their over 21-year-old doppelganger, if your child wants to buy a fake ID, the opportunities are endless.

What happens if your child is caught?

In the state of Mississippi, possession of a fake ID is considered a criminal defense. Fines can cost as much as $5,000 or up to 6 months in jail. In more severe cases, possessing a fake ID during a DUI can lead to even longer sentences.

Can someone still be charged for a fake ID even if they don’t use it to buy alcohol or enter a bar?

Even if your child does not purchase alcohol or enter a bar, possession of fake IDs is against the law. Your child can be charged with a misdemeanor of false identification.

Can you get a fake ID charge expunged from your record?

Yes, after you have pled guilty, been convicted, or been arrested, it is important to get the charge expunged from your record. A charge that happens when you’re under 21 will follow you throughout your future.

Can I get in trouble with my school for being charged for a fake ID?

Although you can get your records expunged, universities are legally bound to keep student records for 7 years. This can affect students pursuing law, medical, or graduate school.

What happens if I get caught selling IDs?

If you are caught selling fake IDs in the state of Mississippi, you may be charged for fraud and, in a severe situation, be charged for every ID in your possession. If you are caught with a multitude of different fake IDs, you may face an extended stay in jail. After your second offense, you may get charged up to $5,000 and potentially spend 1 year in jail.

If you or your child need assistance after being caught with a fake ID, I am here to help. Call me at (662) 372-1622 to discuss how I can fight for your case.

Ask Amy